Can I access my superannuation to assist with the cost of weight loss surgery?

Accessing Early Release of Superannuation to Fund Weight Loss Surgery

Insured and Uninsured patients can access Superannuation under compassionate medical grounds to pay for all out of pockets associated with weight loss surgery.

Who can apply for Early Release of Superannuation?

  • Patients undergoing a Gastric Sleeve/ Sleeve Gastrectomy, Lapband or Gastric Bypass procedure
  • Patients who have no other way to pay e.g. savings
  • Patients with adequate superannuation funds to access
  • Patients with a superannuation company that allow early release of super

I don’t have enough Superannuation; can I access another person’s?

Yes. In most cases you can also access the Superannuation of your spouse, partner, child or other dependant.

What will I need to access my Superannuation?

  • A MyGov account
  • An ATO account linked to your MyGov account
  • An application form completed by Dr Ian Baxter (supplied at your initial consultation)
  • An application form completed by GP. (Supplied by our rooms after your initial consultation)

What do I need to do before my consultation?

  • Call / Log in to the Superannuation fund and ensure you have adequate funds to access
  • Ensure your ATO account and Mygov is up to date

How long does it take to access Superannuation?

The entire process takes approximately 8 weeks to be approved and paid. Please keep in mind that there can be delays with approving your Superannuation with the Australian Taxation Office.

How soon can I book my surgery If I go through Superannuation?

Surgery is usually booked 6 weeks in advance. Payment is 2 weeks prior to surgery.

Can I pay for my surgery and then claim the money back from my Superannuation?

No, Early Release of Superannuation is for unpaid costs only.

Will the money I access from my superannuation be taxed by the Government?

Yes, the government does tax a certain percentage of the amount withdrawn. To clarify this further please contact the ATO on 13 28 61.

Will this affect my Centrelink benefits?

This may or may not affect any current payments you are receiving from Centrelink for the financial year. This will depend on your individual circumstances. Please contact the Department of Human Services if you would like more information.

Do I still need to complete an application if I have a self-managed account?

Yes, you will still need to complete an application as you will require approval from the ATO to access your superannuation funds.