- 1kg butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 50g butter
- 2 medium (300g) onions, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 2 cups (400g) arborio rice
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- Handful of fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60g) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (40g) grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Combine the pumpkin and 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large baking paper-lined oven tray. Season with salt; roast for about 25 minutes or until tender and browned lightly. Set 1/4 of the pumpkin aside for later; cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, bring stock to a gentle simmer in a medium saucepan.
- Melt butter in a large pan; add onion, cook, stirring, until soft but not coloured. Add garlic and rice, stir to coat well with onion mixture; cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add wine, simmer, uncovered, until liquid has evaporated.
- Add 1/2 cup of hot stock to rice mixture; cook, stirring over a medium heat, until the liquid is absorbed. Continue adding stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring between each addition, until half the stock has been added. Stir in the pumpkin, then continue adding stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring between each addition, until all the liquid has been absorbed (this step should take about 20 minutes).
- Once all the stock has been used and absorbed remove risotto from heat; stir in the sour cream and parmesan. Season.
- Serve topped with reserved pumpkin, pine nuts and basil.
Are you ready to find out more?
Call us today for a complimentary 30-minute consultation with our Bariatric Consultant, Nicola.
Nicola underwent weight loss surgery in 2016 and is passionate about answering all you need to know about reshaping your body and your life with bariatrics.
Or you can make a booking online or phone us to see Dr Ian Baxter, if you feel ready to get started on your weight loss journey.