- 1 cup (235 g) mashed sweet potato
- 3/4 cup (120 g) white rice flour (or plain flour)
- 1/3 cup (40 g) tapioca flour (cornflour)
- 1 scoop of protein powder (unflavoured)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- cooking spray
- Peel and chop one medium sweet potato into chunks (about 3 cm) and boil it in a pot with water for about 10 minutes or until fork tender. Discard the water and mash the sweet potato with a potato masher. You’ll need 1 cup (235 g) of mashed sweet potato for this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C.
- Add rice flour, tapioca flour, protein powder, baking powder + salt and mix with a spoon.
- Once the mixture cooled down a little bit, use your hands to knead the pizza dough into a ball. If the dough is too dry, add a tiny bit of water or oil. If it’s too sticky, add more rice flour.
- Place the pizza dough onto a sheet of greased parchment paper and add a second sheet of parchment paper on top. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into your preferred shape (about 0,7-1 cm thick).
- Remove the top parchment paper (don’t throw it away, you will need it again) and transfer the rolled out pizza dough (including the bottom sheet of parchment paper) onto a baking sheet. Bake the pizza dough in the oven for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, you can prepare your pizza toppings!
- After 10 minutes, remove the pizza dough from the oven. Add the second parchment paper on top, and carefully flip the pizza dough over. Please don’t burn your fingers! If the crust is too hot, simply wait a few minutes. Now, peel back the hot parchment paper.
- Place your favourite toppings onto the sweet potato crust and return the pizza to the oven for about 10 to 18 minutes. If you just add a few toppings like cheese and olives (for example) the pizza will be ready much faster than if you add lots of different veggies.
- Enjoy your delicious pizza! Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Photo and original recipe by Elavegan
Are you ready to find out more?
Call us today for a complimentary 30-minute consultation with our Bariatric Consultant, Nicola.
Nicola underwent weight loss surgery in 2016 and is passionate about answering all you need to know about reshaping your body and your life with bariatrics.
Or you can make a booking online or phone us to see Dr Ian Baxter, if you feel ready to get started on your weight loss journey.